Thursday, May 17, 2012

New drug stops prostate cancer growth in its tracks

From New York Times article, "Trial Supports Earlier Use of a Prostate Cancer Drug" (May 17, 2012) ... Drug Zytiga prevents tumors from consuming the food it needs to grow in one-third of early-stage PCs. May be useful in avoiding aggressive treatments....I'd certainly ask my doctors about it before submitting to surgery or radiation, or look for another trial.  Worth a read, here's the lead:

A new drug used to treat advanced prostate cancer may also help men if used early in the course of the disease, before an operation, researchers reported Wednesday. Zytiga limits the production of testosterone, which fuels prostate tumor growth. 

In a small clinical trial, six months of treatment with the drug, Johnson & Johnson’s Zytiga, added to standard therapy, eliminated or nearly eliminated tumors in about one-third of men whose disease had not yet spread beyond the prostate gland but was considered likely to do so. 

The exact significance of this must still be determined through larger studies. But researchers said that with breast cancer and bladder cancer, patients whose tumors are eliminated before an operation, by what is called neoadjuvant chemotherapy, tend to live longer....

My note:  What is "standard therapy" in third graph? 

3 comments:

Marksplex.net said...

I must also sometimes make such a perfectly website with such good information. I hope your website will still survive for very long. They are wonderful! Thank you!

For more info click here http://Marksplex.net/

Unknown said...

I have read this blog, it's really nice and informative. Thanks for sharing information. Avodart

Unknown said...

Hello dear, I am so glad to read your nice post and I appreciate your points and tips which you shared with us. I would like to follow your site. May you be blessed with good health and longest life. I wish you a good luck. May your site be successful. Keep rocking. Thank you so much.