Friday, May 6, 2011

Rockers Who Took On Prostate Cancer


I get more hits on my blog entry, Famous Guys with Prostate Cancer, than all the other serious stuff about PC overtreatment,  unnecessary biopsies, lethal vs nonlethal PC, recurrence anxiety, exercise and prostate health, the alarming PC money tree, and so on....
Zappa

No, most people wanna know whose famous prostate went to hell just like theirs.  Why the fascination?  I suppose, we find a new and real way to relate to those icons we grew up, strange as it is.

As a runner, for instance, when I read Bill Rogers had PC and survived, no I can't relate to him breaking the tape four times in the NY marathon, or dropping the field on Heartbreak Hill to win four Bostons — but I sure can relate to "Boston Billy" running down prostate cancer, his probable peeing problems, biopsies, catheters, PSA anxiety, and all the other fun stuff. 

...Stills
I'm not a rock star but I love rock music — I'm a boomer, grown up on Zappa, CSNY, Grateful Dead, Dan Fogelberg. These guys or bands all got rocked by PC, and for some odd reason, especially for me with Stephen Stills, who laid the soundtrack on my wonderfully misguided youth ... surviving it with the guy who ripped Sweet Judy Blue Eyes makes me feel a tad better.

Me and Stephen. PC survivor sympatico. 

Then there's cranky Frank Zappa, music weirdness legend, founder of The Mothers of Invention ... some of these stony songs followed me for 40 years to my iPod. 

In looking for famous rockers with PC, I came across this interview on The Today Show with  Zappa, talking about the surprise of PC and testing back in 1992 ... and worth dropping in here:

"Well," the iconic innovator said, "I think it’s worthwhile being examined to find out whether or not you got it but on the other hand I had urinary problems over a period of years and was examined and they didn’t find it, and so that’s why it came as such a shock to me that I had it, because I had urinary problems for years…you can imagine how irate a person might be when informed, 'yeah, you got it but we can’t operate on it' ... so yeah, go have a a test but get another test, have a few tests....”

...Lesh
Zappa was quietly pissed at how things were turning out; recall that the PSA test had only been around a few years by 1990, and testing wasn't as widespread as it is today. To Zappa's anguish, PC ended up not being an old man's disease after all. He died in 1993, three years after being diagnosed. He was 52.
Grateful Dead bassist and composer Phil Lesh underwent successful prostate cancer surgery in 2006.

...Fogelberg
Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg, part of the “soft rock” movement of the 1970s, wasn't as lucky, and apparently had an aggressive strain of prostate cancer like Zappa.  He died from it in 2007, at 56.   

The following day, Crosby, Stills and Nash band member Graham Nash mentioned in a Larry King interview that his 62-year-old bandmate Stephen Stills had been diagnosed with PC and was planning to seek treatment. Stills underwent surgery for prostate cancer in 2008.

How 'bout Johnny Ramone—guitarist for The Ramones? He died of PC, at age 55, in 2004.  

So, what do rock stars have to do with prostate cancer?  Nothing at all, really.  Except we (the freshly diagnosed and/or curious survivors) seem to like to know about the famous who share our diseases, all the better and more relate-able if they riffed on our life's soundtrack back in the day ....

2 comments:

Clara david said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of
breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her
to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to
the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the
herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me
That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him
+2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the
problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
davidclara223@gmail.com 

Angelina Keffi said...

There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus.  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria, Impotence Fertility,Protoplasmic, Diarrhea. Herpatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cystic Fibrosis, Schizophrenia, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Cornelia Disease, Weak Erection. Ovarian problem,  Erysipelas, Thyroid, Discharge from Penis. Bronchial Problem,  HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism,  Impotence, thyroid, Autism, Sepsis Bacteria,  Penis enlargement, Prostate Problem,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dieing in pain and full of heart break. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contact him to try my luck, we talk and he send me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cure totally. I don't really know how it happen but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.