Friday, April 22, 2011

Can you detoxify for a healthy prostate?

Just prior to my cancer diagnosis, I was a reading an interesting book by Dr. Larry Clapp, 90 Days to Prostate Health Without Radiation or Surgery, in which he advocates colon cleanses as a critical component to good prostate health.

Dr. Clapp claims to have cured his own prostate cancer not once but twice (yeah, it returned) through an holistic approach that included colon cleanses, natural foods, select supplements and herbs, de-stressing his life and even dental care.

His argument for cleanses goes something like this: Over a 70-year lifetime, the average American eats nearly 70 tons of solid food that is over processed, filled with pesticides and hormones, lacking in fiber, and hard to digest. Consequently, many suffer from slow bowel transit time and/or constipation.

In clogging up the intestinal pipes, food rots and produces toxic substances and parasites that weaken the body's defenses. Weakened defenses encourage disease. Because of diet-caused clogged colons, toxins leak from the colon into the prostate. This creates an environment for infection and disease and even cancer. So until the toxins and parasites are cleared out of the colon, true healing of the prostate cannot begin.
At the time I read Dr. Clapp's theory, I was suffering miserably with prostate problems -- infections, urination frequency, pain during ejaculation -- which I mention in case you know a male, age 40 and up, with similar issues.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't say that Dr. Clapp's theory is a medically certainty, but I can tell you this:  I followed many of his holistic remedies, including the cleanse, and my prostate problems began to receed en masse just prior to my cancer diagnosis. I started to feel normal again, after a decade of misery.


So I'm a cleanse advocate for prostate health, based on my own personal experience, as well as discussions with other alternative health care practitioners and even an occasional mainstream doctor who at least will tell you "It can't hurt."

I just know one thing for certain: Eating good foods and taking certain supplements, in combination with the cleanse, made me me feel better -- and I didn't think that was possible back in 2008.

For me, as a cancer survivor with a prostate that still needs nurturing, doing whatever I need to do to make sure my prostate remains healthy is a good reason for the occasional cleanse.  

If interested in toxins, cancer and the diet connection, take a look at Dr. Shayne’s article, Ignoring theLink Between Cancer and Toxins. It’s excellent … and you may find another reason for the occasional cleanse.

"With all of the cancer information and disinformation broadcasted continually through the major news media, rarely do we hear a mention of the greatest threat to our health – and the most prevalent cause of cancer: toxins," says Vic Shayne, PhD, researcher at the University of Florida.




1 comment:

prostate health said...

Thanks for this article! It informs me about prostate health and its importance to men. I hope many visitors can read this so that they will be aware of the things that might improve their prostate health and avoid those risky diseases. Cool!